I'm very pleased to announce Mapnik 0.5.0. It has been a long time in development, but I hope it was worth waiting for. This release brings numerous stability and performance improvements. I am particularly excited to see Mapnik performing well in multi-threaded setups, offering scalability.
During 2007, Mapnik has been deployed in a number of diverse environments, rendering maps 24/7.Here are some people who use Mapnik :
List of some new/improved features:
- support for native builds on Mac OS X (both Tiger and Leopard)
- support for single/multi-threading variants
- gdal raster support
- more comprehensive text label placement functionality (min_distance, spacing)
- viewer - qt4 based application
- character encoding support (iconv)
- changed internal geometry representation to explicitly support multi-geometries
- placement_finder is re-factored
- optional libxml2 based map loader (internal and external entities)
- image quantization
- support for image 'views'
- improved 'memory file' based i/o in shape input plug-in
- support for 'numeric' type in postgis input plug-in
- saving images directly into Python string
- win32 binaries built with VC++ express
***This is a major feature enhancement as well as a bugfix release and everyone is encouraged to upgrade***
Thanks to everyone involved, I really appreciate your help. And let's make Mapnik even better this year!
ArtemPosted by Artem Pavlenko on 07 February 2008.